Languages Connect in collaboration with the Consejería de Educación de la Embajada de España en Dublin is delighted to announce its annual competition for 5th year students of Spanish.
La Junta de Castilla y León and the Spanish Tourist Office in Dublin are sponsoring the competition.
3 scholarships to cover the cost of flights, accommodation and language school for one week in Castilla y León for 2 students and their teacher during the summer of 2019.
2nd and 3rd Prize
3 scholarships to cover the cost of accommodation and language school for one week in Castilla y León for 2 students and their teacher during the summer of 2019.
Create a 2-minute video ‘set in’ Castilla y León. The video should incorporate an artifact from Irish daily life, such as a hurley, a kettle, a potato masher, etc. which is not widely used in Spain. You need to integrate it in your video so that you show 1) its normal use, 2) some creative new uses and 3) some creative new uses if you were to take it with you on a trip to Castilla y León. How could this very ‘Irish’ object become part of your trip? You can take your inspiration from movies, songs, or adverts. Creativity and cultural knowledge, as well as language competence, will be rewarded.
Guidelines and Resources
It is important that your production feels like a real ad. We suggest these easy steps to produce your video:
- Find a partner and have a planning session.
- Do your research.
- Decide who will do what.
- Prepare the storyboard.
- These are some websites that will help you:
• https://spark.adobe.com/about/video is a great and simple tool for creating videos.
• Watch video editing tutorials to get ideas and tips.
• You can use images from the Junta de Castilla Y León website for your video.
- Shoot the video using a camera, a smartphone or a webcam. Take lots of footage, you can always cut later.
- Consider using a microphone for better sound quality and be mindful of background noise
- You can insert videos and audio files into your own clip.
- Edit the video (cut the parts you do not like, add the sound, include credits).
- Consent form to be filled out by parent/guardian.
Your film will be assessed according to the following criteria:
- Adherence to guidelines (does the video follow time and presentation guidelines?)
- Creativity (is the video original? Do we want to see more?)
- Use of language (grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation and fluency)
- Production (the film is well planned, sound and image quality are good)
- Demonstration of appropriate cultural knowledge
- This competition is only open to 5th year students taking Spanish for the Leaving Certificate.
- Entries must be submitted on the before the 29th of April 2019.
- Entries should be prepared by teams of 2 students and not exceed 2 minutes in duration, including credits.
- Videos should contain the name of the authors, their teacher, and the school’s name, town and county.
- All music and images used must be credited/acknowledged. We suggest you use copyright free music, or simply play yourself! It is the entrant’s responsibility that the film does not infringe copyright.
- The jurors’ decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into. The jury will select the best videos based on their creativity, final production, and content.
- By entering the competition, you agree to post photos/comments during your stay in Spain on the Post-Primary Languages Initiative Facebook page.
By entering the competition, entrants agree to abide by the rules. The entrant retains copyright over their original work, but by uploading a video, the entrant grants permission to the Post-Primary Languages Initiative to use for mash-ups, instructional purposes, promotional material or as exemplars of learning.
In recognition of GDPR entrants need to submit the consent form with signature of the parent/guardian for PPLI to hold the entrant’s personal information necessary in order to process their entry. The personal information of the entrants and parents/guardians will not be used for any other purpose, and the consent can be withdrawn at any time.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.