What we do
Our aim is to build awareness of the many advantages of foreign language skills and to make foreign language learning more appealing to everyone. To do this, we attend many student events, careers fairs, run competitions and campaigns. We’ve done a lot since launching in September 2018 and we’re adding new and exciting projects and events all the time. Here are just some of the projects we’re running right now:
- Funding school language exchanges
- Welcome thousands of students to the #ThinkLanguages event in Dublin’s Convention Centre
- Establish a core set of foreign language books across Irish libraries
- Run Heritage Language Summer Camps for secondary school students
- Create Transition Year and Leaving Cert Work Experience Language Packs
- Help students decide on their next step with the Careers Portal Third Level Language Course Finder
- Find out more about our latest projects in our News and Events section
Origins of Languages Connect
The Languages Connect awareness campaign is being delivered by Post Primary Languages Ireland (PPLI) in partnership with a growing number of partners. It is part of Ireland’s Strategy for Foreign Languages in Education 2017-2026 and Implementation Plan 2017-2022. Run by PPLI, we promote foreign languages to a wide audience. We engage everyone from students to industry professionals so we can make this happen.
Post Primary Languages Ireland
Post-Primary Languages Ireland (PPLI) is a unit providing expertise and support for foreign languages education in Ireland. Its focus is on enhancing and broadening the opportunities available to students for learning foreign languages relevant to Ireland’s future cultural, social and economic needs.
PPLI has responsibility for implementing key actions in Languages Connect – Ireland’s Strategy for Foreign Languages in Education 2017-2026, which was published by the Irish Government in December 2017.
In order to implement the strategy, the PPLI team has grown considerably over the past couple of years. The team now includes Education Officers, Language Advisors, a team of Associates, a marketing team and a large number of foreign language teachers in a growing variety of languages. For more information on the team, click here.
If you would like more information on what we do or would like to discuss working with us on a future project, please contact us.