What Can We Do To Support You?
• PPLI fund heritage languages classes “Polish lessons have been a great impact on my school life. Thanks to these I got to use my native language without fear of someone not understanding me.” (Klaudia 2nd year)
• School exchanges (15K over 3 years for 20 schools)
• Teacher upskilling (70K available 2019)
• Ex-quota teachers to 60 schools coming soon
• Post-grad courses for teachers
• Additional allocation for diversification of languages
For more information and teaching resources see PPLI.ie
CPD / Upskilling for teachers
What is the MFL Teacher Upskilling Scheme?
The MFL Teacher Upskilling Scheme was developed under ‘Languages Connect’ strategy to draw out the existing, unused ‘dormant’ language capacity in our schools. The scheme was aimed at languages teachers qualified in a language they are not teaching or are not teaching to full capacity. The idea was that with upskilling these teachers could get equipped to teach a language again after a period of not teaching it, or that they would be able to expand their teaching of the new language, perhaps moving from junior cycle teaching to senior cycle teaching. With upskilling, schools are able to expand their capacity in languages provision or add new languages that are available on the curriculum. MFL teachers in French, German, Spanish, Italian and Russian languages are currently availing of the upskilling scheme.
Funding for School Exchanges Scheme
Twenty schools have been awarded €15,000 each to contribute towards exchange costs such as flights, to offer scholarships to students who would not otherwise be able to participate, or for other needs that the school identifies as contributing towards language learning on the exchange. Click here for more information and ideas.
Avail of CPD & Resources
• Supplementary training materials are available on the PPLI website free of charge for all MFL teachers to diversify, enhance, and expand MFL teaching
• Resources to support teaching and learning in the classroom
• Resources for guidance counsellors are available as lesson plans
• Work placement portal and resources
Broaden Your Curriculum
• PPLI can assist you with the introduction of new languages via short courses, TY modules, and introductory first year courses. The broader your curriculum the more options you are providing for your students.
• Provide a short course for students not currently taking a foreign language. Curriculum support is available from the PPLI which have developed a generic short course for use in providing any MFL, and specific short courses in ISL, Japanese, Lithuanian, Polish, and Russian. All are fully aligned with NCCA templates and guidelines.